The four-year undergraduate B.Tech program in Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering being offered in the department has the main objectives to train students as leaders in research and development in industry and to produce good quality production engineers to cater to the needs of industries in the field of biotechnology and other allied fields. The curriculum of the course encompasses latest development in the field as well as present day and future needs of the industry. This undergraduate program covers both greater depth and breadth due to its extensive course requirements. The curriculum includes courses in biological sciences, chemical and biochemical engineering together with compulsory industrial training. An array of electives gives an opportunity for greater depth in both biology and engineering applications. Relative to many peer institutions, the undergraduate course offered in the department is enhanced due to a high level of interdisciplinary and cross-institution research and training interactions. The department is fully equipped with Biochemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Bioprocess Engineering, Fluid Flow, Enzyme Engineering, Heat and Mass Transfer, Downstream Processing and Computer lab. At the cost of 4 lakhs worth software packages, “ASPEN PLUS“ – Engineering suite and “CHEMCAD- Process simulations software” has been purchased for Software Laboratory. Large numbers of our alumni are placed in various software companies like Infosys.
Department of Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering
The Vision of the Department is to become a centre of excellence in the field of biotechnology & biochemical engineering education and research. Our faculty, staff and students work together as a team to bring out professionals with technical excellence, social commitment and ability to contribute in the field of biotechnology& biochemical engineering.
The mission of the Department is to strive to impart high quality educational experience and training for our students so that the students are able to actively contribute in industry and conduct advanced research. They would continue lifelong learning, perform with social responsibility, ethical conduct, professional competence to contribute to the advancement of individual and society.
Programme – B.Tech degree in Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering
Programme Educational Objectives(PEOs):
- Graduates of the programme will have a successful technical and professional career in biotechnology , biochemical engineering and related areas.
- Graduates will be able to achieve in diverse careers including business, IT related areas and others.
- Graduates will pursue advanced studies and research in biotechnology , chemical and related fields like environmental engineering etc.
- Graduates will have desire for lifelong learning and for adoption to a change in direction with rapid response as two means of extending engineering knowledge.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- Graduates will be able to communicate effectively in both oral & written form
- Graduates will have knowledge of contemporary issues and apply them in real life
- Graduates will possess ability to function in multidisciplinary teams
- Graduates will be able to identify, formulate and solve, biotechnology and biochemical engineering problems
- Graduates will have ability to design and conduct experiments, to analyze and interpret data
- Graduates will be able to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering
- Graduates will be able to apply knowledge of fundamentals of chemical engineering, and biotechnology to bio-processing and bio-separation in the context of biochemical and biotechnological applications
- Graduates will be able to design systems, components or processes to meet desired needs within the realistic constraints such as economics, environmental, social, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability.
- Graduates will have an understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities and Graduates will be able to apply ethical, environmental and human safety standards to actual problems and processes
- Graduates will be able to use techniques, skills and modern engineering tools for engineering practices
- Graduates will have desire for lifelong learning
B.Tech in Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering : 60 Seats
Prof. Alwan S,
HOD-BT & BCE
Graduate and Post graduate in Chemical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Madras he has over 35 years of experience in the areas of Research & Development in Indian Space Research Organization, before superannuating as General Manager, Rocket Propellant Plant, Vikram Sarabhai Space centre, Trivandrum. He was instrumental in development of a rocket motor for launch of Chandrayaan1 satellite. More than 50 papers in International & National journals, 5 books and one patent are to his credit. He is a recipient of Professor Sengupto Gold Medal for First Rank in M.Tech (Chemical Engineering, IIT, Madras). He received ISRO excellence award for the year 2008.
You can contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students of S8 class who have scored high scores in GATE examination for Post graduate Studies and Public Sector Recruitment and CSIR Research Scholarship examination are given below:
|Name of Student||GATE Score||Specialization||CSIR Scholarship Exam||Specialization|
|Arya T Dharan||392||Biotechnology||55|
|Feba K Roy||752||Biotechnology|
|Priyanka D N||92||Biotechnology|
Students of S8 class who have been place in campus placement during 2016-17 so far are given below:
|Name of The Student||Company|
|Athul Sanjeev||Zifo RnD Solutions|
|Surya V||EVOBI AUTOMATIONS PVT LTD|
|A R Krishanaindhu||EVOBI AUTOMATIONS PVT LTD|